1) I think it would be interesting to compare the change in writing style that occurs after the man is shot in "Bullet in the Brain" and after Katrina has hit in "Salvage the Bones." Both of these events are dramatic and story-changing, and it would be interesting to see if the diction changes as well to reflect this.
2) It would also be interesting to compare Esch to the main character in "The Most Girl Part of You." They both seem very similar -- they are both weak female characters who are taken advantage of sexually. They are also very soft-spoken, and seem to not have a strong opinion about anything.
3) Finally, I think many comparisons can be drawn between Big Guy in "The Most Girl Part of You" and Big Henry in "Salvage the Bones." First, and most obviously, they are both defined by their physical size. Others look up to them for advise and companionship, and are viewed as more mature than others. Their mannerisms, roles as characters, and physical characters all have a lot in common with each other, so I think an effective paper could be written about their similarities.
I think the first topic could be really interesting they are both a mix of being full of action in select moments and somewhat empty in other sections.
ReplyDeleteI like your third topic, it's a totally unexpected comparison and I think you could do something cool with it.
ReplyDeleteYour first topic might be a little broad, but if you would be able to hone in on what you wanted to say, I think it you could make a really persuasive argument. Also, it would be important to locate specific evidence that complements the details of your point.
ReplyDeleteI think your third option is your best choice. It's certainly not a comparison that I had previously considered, and I'm sure everyone could appreciate you taking a different approach. Big Guy and Big Henry do have a lot in common, aside from the obvious, and it would be cool to see what you could find. It might be a bit of a challenge, though.
I really liked your first essay topic! I definitely think that each author's writing style changed after the bullet and after the hurricane. Esch seems more sure of herself and the character in Bullet in the Brain goes to a completely different state of mind.
ReplyDelete